Before Meat-Free May began, we had already introduced going veggie 2 nights a week, and one of my go-to meals was an adaptation of carbonara. Traditionally a dish made with bacon and lashings of cream, my version uses neither but still captures the essence of this comforting meal.
Day 9 Menu
Breakfast: Wholegrain Cereal
Lunch: Cauliflower Soup with Seeded Bread
Dinner: Mushroom & Broccoli Quick Carbonara (recipe below)
Mushroom & Broccoli Quick Carbonara Recipe
Recipe by Our Whimsical World
• 150g spaghetti
• 1tbsp olive oil
• 1 brown onion, sliced
• 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
• 100g mushrooms, sliced
• ½ head of broccoli, split in to small florets
• 2 eggs
• 40g cheddar cheese, grated
1) Fill a saucepan with freshly boiled water from the kettle. Bring to a simmer and add your spaghetti & broccoli. Cook for 12 minutes.
2) In a separate large saucepan, heat the olive oil on a medium heat. Add the onions and fry gently for a few minutes, until starting to soften.
3) Add the garlic & mushrooms and continue cooking for 5 minutes or so, until the mushrooms are soft and delicious. Remove from the heat.
4) When the spaghetti is cooked, drain through a sieve and add to the onions & mushrooms.
5) Add half of the cheese & both eggs to the spaghetti mix and stir well. The residual heat should be enough to cook the eggs without scrambling, however you can return to a low heat if you need to, just enough to finish cooking the eggs. Season to taste.
6) Serve in to pasta bowls & top with the remaining cheese. Enjoy!
Remember, we don’t currently use affiliate links or sponsored products, so everything we have mentioned is because we bought it and genuinely used it!
What is your favourite quick & easy comfort food dish? Let us know in the comments!
1 thought on “Day 9: Mushroom & Broccoli Quick Carbonara”