⚠️ WARNING: This dish can cause flatulence so is perfect for those wanting to socially distance themselves in enclosed spaces! 😷
Day 13 – unlucky for some but not us! We’ve got a quick and tasty dish for you to try! It’s packed full of flavour, cooks in one pan and is ready in less than 30 minutes.
Day 13 Menu
Breakfast: Scrambled Eggs and Baked Beans on Seeded Toast
Lunch: Vegetable Soup
Dinner: Smokin’ Cowboy Beans (recipe below)
Smokin’ Cowboy Beans Recipe
Original recipe by Joe Wicks, adapted by Our Whimsical World
• 1tbsp olive oil
• 4 meat-free sausages (we used Cauldron Lincolnshire Sausages)
• 400g can chopped tomatoes
• 2tbsp tomato puree
• 2tbsp Worcestershire sauce
• 2tsp smoked paprika
• 1tsp ground cumin
• 1tbsp honey
• 1tbsp mustard (we used Dijon)
• 1 can Pinto beans, drained
• 1 can Black beans, drained
• salt & pepper to taste
• fresh coriander to garnish
1) Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the sausages and fry for 6-8 minutes, or until browned all over. Remove from the pan and set aside until later.
2) In the now empty saucepan, add the tomato puree and cook out for a minute. Add the chopped tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, smoked paprika, cumin, honey and mustard. Add a splash of water, bring to the boil & simmer for 5 minutes.
3) Meanwhile, chop the cooked meat-free sausages in to bite size pieces. Once the tomato sauce has been simmering for 5 minutes, add the sausage pieces and beans to the pan and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
4) Season to taste, then serve topped with fresh coriander.
In the original recipe, Joe Wicks recommends topping with a poached egg, however I prefer freshly baked bread to soak up any leftover smokin’ juices! It is also perfectly mashable for little ones so I was able to give it to our 7 month old (who devoured it)!
Remember, we don’t currently use affiliate links or sponsored products, so everything we have mentioned is because we bought it and genuinely used it!
Have you cooked with pinto beans before? What’s your favourite bean recipe? Let us know in the comments!