Day 2 was another roaring success & no meat substitutes required! Read on for our moorish chocolate orange cookie recipe!
Day 2 Menu
Breakfast: Scrambled Eggs & Baked Beans on Wholegrain Seeded Toast
Lunch: Potato & Lentil Mahkani Curry (link to recipe here)
Dinner: Chinese Stir-fry
Dessert: Orange & Dark Chocolate Shortbread Cookies (recipe below)
Orange & Dark Chocolate Shortbread Cookies Recipe (Vegetarian)
Recipe by Our Whimsical World
• 120g salted butter, softened
• 100g caster sugar
• 1tsp orange extract
• 2 tbsp milk
• 30g cocoa powder
• 130g plain flour
• 50g dark chocolate chips (we used ½ bar of Divine 70% Cocoa Dark Chocolate, then chopped in to small chunks)
1) Cream together the softened butter and sugar until smooth.
2) Add the milk and orange extract and mix well.
3) Sift in the cocoa powder and flour.
4) Once the dough is well mixed, add the chocolate chips and give one final mix.
5) Split the cookie dough in half and roll into two logs about 2 inches thick. Wrap each log in cling film, then pop in the fridge for around 3 hours to firm up.
6) Preheat oven to 180°C (175°C fan assisted).
7) Line a large baking sheet with greaseproof paper.
8) Once chilled & firm, cut each cookie dough log into slices about 1.5cm thick. Arrange on the banking sheet, leaving a gap between each cookie.
9) Bake for 11-12 minutes, then move to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
These delicious chocolatey cookies are very moorish, but everything in moderation folks! Unlike supermarket biscuits, you can make these without using any palm oil what so ever! Just be sure to check the ingredients in your butter & chocolate, as often budget brands & big names contain lots of it. Divine chocolate are one of the only brands we’ve found that don’t use palm oil, are suitable for vegetarians and pack their products in recyclable packaging. Waitrose stock them in store for around £2.20 a 90g bar, or you can buy 150g bars online.
Once again, we don’t currently use affiliate links or sponsored products, so everything we have mentioned is because we bought it and genuinely used it!
Are you going to give the cookies a go? Have you tried any other flavour combinations? Let us know in the comments!