It was Day 1 and we were ready to embrace change. From the moment we woke up the sun was shining, the flowers were in full bloom and the baby had given us a full night’s sleep!
Day 1 Menu
Breakfast: Whole Grain Cereal (Shreddies)
Lunch: Butternut Squash & Spinach Pasta (recipe below)
Dinner: ‘Naked Glory’ Burger & Sweet Potato Fries
Butternut Squash & Spinach Pasta Recipe (Vegetarian)
Original recipe by Amy Fulwood from The Cook Report. Adapted by Our Whimsical World.
- 1 Butternut Squash (peeled and cut into cubes)
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 sprigs of fresh Rosemary
- 4 tbsp Greek Yoghurt
- 1/8 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp Nutmeg
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
- 2 handfuls of Fresh Spinach
- 400g Whole Wheat Pasta (allow 100g per serving)
- Strong Cheddar Cheese (grated, to sprinkle on top)
- Chilli Flakes (as much or as little as you like)
- Heat the oven to 200°C/400°F. Put the diced squash on a baking sheet and toss in a little olive oil. Place in the oven and cook for 45 minutes or until soft.
- Around 35 minutes into cooking time, you want to start thinking about your pasta. Cook this according to the packet instructions (usually simmer in boiling water for 8-12 minutes depending on pasta type).
- When the butternut squash is ready, remove from the oven. Leave to cool slightly, then blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Melt the butter over a medium heat and add the rosemary. Cook gently for 5 minutes, or until the butter has started to brown. Add the squash puree, yoghurt, nutmeg & cinnamon. Season to taste.
- Take the sauce off the heat and add the cooked pasta, along with the spinach. Mix well, then serve topped with your chilli flakes and grated cheese. Enjoy!
So there we have it! Day 1 was a success. Meat-free burgers are a fantastic way to get that barbecue fix if you so fancy, and gourds can make a great pasta sauce – who knew?!
We’ll be sharing what we’re eating each day, including any products and recipes we thing you might find helpful. I don’t currently use affiliate links or sponsored products, so everything mentioned will because we bought it and genuinely used it!
Have you made Butternut Squash & Spinach Pasta? Which meat-free burgers can you recommend? Let us know in the comments!