Day 5 has seen us busy in the kitchen all day. The weather was dreary, so we thought we’d put our energy in to cooking 3 meals from scratch, though none of them were particularly complicated! Here is what we had:
Day 5 Menu
Breakfast: Scrambled Eggs & Beans on Wholewheat Toast
Lunch: Vegan Pesto Penne Pasta
Dinner: ‘Naked Glory’ Vegetarian Chilli Con Carne (recipe below)
Dessert: Decadent ‘Divine’ Dark Chocolate Brownies (recipe here)
Vegetarian Chilli Con Carne Recipe
Recipe by Our Whimsical World
• 1tbsp olive oil
• 260g ‘Naked Glory’ meat-free mince
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
• 1 carrot, finely chopped
• 2tsp smoked paprika
• 2tsp ground cumin
• ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
• 1tsp oregano
• 1 can of chopped tomatoes
• 2tbsp tomato puree
• 1 red pepper, finely chopped
• 1 red chilli, finely chopped
• 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
• 350ml vegetable stock
• 1 can of kidney beans, drained
1) Heat the olive oil on a medium heat in a large saucepan. Add the mince, onion and garlic, then fry for 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
2) Add the carrots and fry for a further 2 minutes.
3) Add the spices, oregano, chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, red pepper, red chilli, balsamic vinegar and stock, then bring to the boil.
4) Add the kidney beans. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 45 minutes.
5) Serve topped with rice or on a jacket potato. Feel free to top with your favourite cheese, sour cream or fresh coriander.
We browsed a whole range of Meat-Free mince products, however Naked Glory mince seemed to be far superior to the rest. It is suitable for vegans, doesn’t contain palm oil, is made from natural ingredients, is a reasonable price and tastes good! All the big supermarkets stock it too, so why not give it a try?
Remember, we don’t currently use affiliate links or sponsored products, so everything we have mentioned is because we bought it and genuinely used it!
What’s your favourite mincemeat dish? Would you try it with a meat-free alternative? Let us know in the comments!